Tuesday, August 31, 2010

how to get a job in advertising (part 2)

Once you've identified the ad agencies you'd "give anything to work for" (Step 1 in yesterday's post), find a memorable way to express that feeling.


BODY COPY AS SEEN THROUGH MY LOUPE: Okay, part of me wants to go to Fallon. But an even bigger part of me wants to be at Chiat. So if you'd like to see my work, give me a call and I'll be happy to hop right over. Mark Slatko, Copywriter


Before Jelly Helm was famous, he was sending prospective employers mailers like this.


A week after mailing this to Ron Anderson (he's the guy who taught Fallon and McElligott everything they know), I was working for him.

Remember, you're not the only person looking for a job. Which is precisely the reason you have to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

Tomorrow: Just a few more examples to help inspire you.



No comments:

Post a Comment