Monday, August 30, 2010

how to get a job in advertising

I'm not looking for a job in advertising, but if I were, here's how I'd go about it:
  1. Make a list of the top three (or five or ten) companies I want to work for;
  2. Create a separate resume and cover letter for each;
  3. Send;
  4. Follow-up.
Assuming you've successfully completed the first three steps, here's what you should know about step 4: Do not call -- I repeat -- DO NOT CALL the prospective employer and say, "I sent you my resume. I'm calling to ask if you received it." (It's a waste of your time and theirs.)

Instead, consider doing something unexpected. Something unconventional that will help set you apart from all other job hunters.

"Like what?," you might ask. To which I'd reply, "Something like this."



Yes, she landed a copywriter job.


Art director’s mailer to Chiat/Day.


One frustrated copywriter’s approach.

Tomorrow, three more examples to help inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment